This is a scholarship program for privately-financed international students with excellent academic and character records who are enrolled in undergraduate schools, graduate schools, junior colleges, colleges of technology, specialized course in specialized training colleges, university preparatory courses or Japanese language institutes in Japan (hereinafter "educational institution(s)") and are facing financial difficulties.
Monbukagakusho Honors Scholarship for Privately-Financed International Students
Graduate/undergraduate level: 48,000 yen per month
Japanese language institutes: 30,000 yen per month
12 months (From April to next March) or 6 months (From October to next March)
Method of application
Please ask the staff at the educational institution in which you are enrolled
*The number of students an educational institution can recommend depends on the number of international students enrolled in it. Please note that depending on your educational institution, you may not be able to apply.
Definition of Privately-Financed International Student
The international students who are enrolled in educational institutions, except the grantees of the Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho) Scholarship or any Foreign Government Scholarship.
Requirements for grant of scholarship
The candidate must fulfill the following conditions. He/She must also sign on the sheet designated by JASSO every month at the international students’ office in his/her educational institution.
- The candidate is either enrolled as a full-time student in a graduate school in Japan or has an undergraduate degree, at the least, and is enrolled as a research student at the graduate level.
- The candidate is enrolled as a full-time student in an undergraduate school, junior college, college of technology (3rd grade or upper) or specialized course in a specialized training college in Japan.
- The candidate is enrolled as a full-time student in an advanced course in an undergraduate school, junior college or college of technology in Japan or preparatory Japanese language program.
- The candidate is enrolled as a full-time student in a university preparatory course in an educational institution in Japan with the objective to enroll in a university.
- The candidate is enrolled in a Japanese language institute with the objective to advance to an undergraduate school, graduate school, junior college, college of technology or specialized course in a specialized training college in Japan.
- 1. The candidate must have a GPA of 2.30 or more at graduate or undergraduate level or the Japanese language institute in the previous academic year. In cases where the evaluation cannot be expressed in the form of GPA, the candidate’s evaluation result must be equivalent or higher at each of the mentioned levels.
- 2.The candidate must meet the required condition of Japanese or English languages.
*Except for the candidate studying at preparatory Japanese langage program, a university preparatory course and Japanese language institutes.
a.Those who have passed N2 level or higher in JLPT (Japanese-Language Proficiency Test).
b.Those who have a score of 200 points or more in Japanese as a Foreign Language of EJU (Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students).
c.Those who are above the language level separately recognized by JASSO.
d.Those who are above B2 level or higher in CEFR.
- 3. After the scholarship is granted, the candidate must agree to cooperate in the career path survey conducted by JASSO through the educational institution in which the candidate is enrolled or other methods.
- 4. Allowance (excluding enrollment fee, tuition fee, etc.) received by the candidate must not exceed an average of 90,000 yen per month.
- 5. If the candidate has a financial supporter in Japan, his/her annual income must be less than 5 million yen.
- 6. The candidate must not be receiving a scholarship that cannot be combined with the Honors Scholarships.
- 7. The candidate must not be receiving support under JASSO’s international students support program.
Universities or Japanese language institutes suspended application of this scholarship at present
There are no such universities or Japanese language institutes at present.