This is a scholarship program for privately-financed international students with excellent academic and character records who are enrolled in undergraduate schools, graduate schools, junior colleges, colleges of technology, specialized course in specialized training colleges, university preparatory courses or Japanese language institutes in Japan (hereinafter "educational institution(s)") and are facing financial difficulties.
Monbukagakusho Honors Scholarship for Privately-Financed International Students
Graduate/undergraduate level: 48,000 yen per month
Japanese language institutes: 30,000 yen per month
12 months (From April to next March) or 6 months (From October to next March)
Method of application
Please ask the staff at the educational institution in which you are enrolled
*The number of students an educational institution can recommend depends on the number of international students enrolled in it. Please note that depending on your educational institution, you may not be able to apply.
Definition of Privately-Financed International Student
The international students who are enrolled in educational institutions, except the grantees of the Japanese Government (Monbukagakusho) Scholarship or any Foreign Government Scholarship.
Requirements for grant of scholarship
The candidate must fulfill the following conditions. He/She must also sign on the sheet designated by JASSO every month at the international students’ office in his/her educational institution.
- The candidate is either enrolled as a full-time student in a graduate school in Japan or has an undergraduate degree, at the least, and is enrolled as a research student at the graduate level.
- The candidate is enrolled as a full-time student in an undergraduate school, junior college, college of technology (3rd grade or upper) or specialized course in a specialized training college in Japan.
- The candidate is enrolled as a full-time student in an advanced course in an undergraduate school, junior college or college of technology in Japan or preparatory Japanese language program.
- The candidate is enrolled as a full-time student in a university preparatory course in an educational institution in Japan with the objective to enroll in a university.
- The candidate is enrolled in a Japanese language institute with the objective to advance to an undergraduate school, graduate school, junior college, college of technology or specialized course in a specialized training college in Japan.
Universities or Japanese language institutes suspended application of this scholarship at present
There are no such universities or Japanese language institutes at present.